Tuesday 6 March 2012

Pizza Pilgrims - Berwick Street Market W1

I was first alerted to the existence of Pizza Pilgrims by a tweet from the lovely Chloe, otherwise known as The Faerietale Foodie.  The thought of authentic Neopolitan pizza being produced in a bespoke converted Robin Reliant van sounded really cool to me so I was keen to check it out.  The back-story is that two brothers and a friend, inspired by Italian pizza decided to buy the afore-mentioned Robin Reliant, pick it up in southern Italy and drive it back to the UK, sampling pizza along the way.  The Pilgrims have set up their van in one of my favourite streets in Soho, Berwick St (alongside BahnMi11) and are concentrating on selling a small number of quality pizzas - on my first visit today I had a delicious "Nduja" which had spicy tomato sauce, chorizo and broccoli
added.  I have been bemoaning the lack of decent pizza in London recently so the Pilgrims version I had today made me really happy - if I had one criticism it is that, to me, truly great pizza always has a really thin base and the Pizza Pilgrims' version is quite doughy round the edges.  But hey, it's a small gripe and overall this was definitely the best pizza I'd had for a long while.  So check out the Pizza Pilgrims (you can also follow them on Facebook or Twitter).  I am loving the street food vibe that is coming to London, loving Berwick Street more every day and loving the fact I now know where to go when that pizza craving comes on.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely mention Rob & so pleased you like the pizza! Looks like they're doughier than the ones we tried but they're likely to just keep getting better. There's also talk of them being served folded, Neopolitan street food style....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there yesterday too, must have just missed you - loved it. My review is here http://theperfecttrough.blogspot.com/2012/03/pizza-pilgrims.html

    Berwick St is great at lunchtimes. The burrito ladies were (humourously) bemoaning the pizza, saying they were poor that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe - thanks again for being first with the pizza news!

    Perfect Trough - I haven't tried the burritos, are they good? My guilty pleasure on Berwick St is ham & cheese French toast at Foxcroft & Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do get on to things quickly - I heard about this place from Tweat_Up just Monday and have put it on my list. So far the best pizza I think I've had in this country is by Homeslice and Tweat Up seemed to think they were up their with them so looking forward to comparing. Are they selling it by the slice? Hope they're nice and big!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gingle - where can I eat Homeslice though, do they have a permanent spot? Pizza Pilgrims do smallish pizzas - perfect lunch size!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pizza is not really bad for you because it has grain,cheese and tomato sauce. these are normal healthy things but depends what kind of pizza it is. I like pizza wandsworth

    ReplyDelete