Friday 23 March 2012

The Delaunay - Aldwych WC2

The Wolseley is one of my favourite places to eat in London, especially for breakfast, so I was super excited when I heard the team behind The Wolseley were planning a new "grand central European style cafe" in Aldwych called The Delaunay.   Having back-packed through Europe as a fluffy-haired 21 year old (many, many years ago...sob) I have fond memories of taking a break from the baguettes and cheese and canned ravioli and treating myself to coffee and cake at a grand cafe in cities like Vienna or Salzburg.  The Delaunay definitely has the feel of one of these cafes but without the genteel shabbiness that the century old European versions have acquired through time.  All in all though this is a gem and the breakfast the other half and I had this morning was fantastic.  Starting with a good strong latte (pictured) and a cute basket of perfect mini pastries, we followed up with a perfectly cooked omelette filled with ham, mushrooms, tomato and Gruyere.  The Wolseley's omelettes are the best I've ever had and so this one didn't quite measure up but it was still bloody good.  Even though we were full up, we also shovelled in some lovely toasted sourdough toast with delicious strawberry jam and washed it all down with another coffee.  We lingered over our food and it was all very relaxed - as it should be in a place like this.  The Delaunay also has a smaller, more casual cafe and take away space called "The Counter" - we went and had a sticky beak and it looks great.  I can see myself spending a lot of time in both the large, grand main room and this smaller space.  Also they have milkshakes on their menu - I am constantly on the search for the perfect vanilla milkshake so that is my next mission!  I loved The Delaunay - so get down there and fall in love with this grand dame yourself.


The Delaunay on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment