Tuesday 23 March 2010

Flat Cap Coffee - Strutton Ground SW1

Let me start off this post by talking about Strutton Ground - I discovered this cute little street market around 10 years ago.  I was doing a brief stint at the most boring internet company you could think of, with offices above Victoria Station and at lunchtimes I would pound the pavement, trying to find something to brighten up my working day.  Obviously this particular lunchtime I was in dire need because I walked almost the whole length of Victoria Street when suddenly to my right I noticed a cute street market.  I liked the fact that you went from being in central London to being in what felt like the East End - or perhaps more accurately you went from 21st century central London (typified by Victoria Street) to 1950's central London.  If you walk the length of Strutton Ground to Great Peter Street (snigger) you find yourself surrounded by lovely Peabody Trust housing estates.  Keep wandering down here and turn left into Little College Street (basically the last street before Millbank and the river) and you get the most beautiful view of the Houses of Parliament.  I love it around here - particularly early in the morning before the tourist hordes.  Anyway I digress, this post was meant to be about the Flat Cap Coffee cart at the start of the market - this was certainly not here when I stumbled on Strutton Ground in 2000 but it is here now and it serves really decent flat whites.  Grinding Square Mile beans (those guys are everywhere!) and served with a smile (as you can see from the photo) this is a little gem and brings some much needed coffee quality to SW1.  I just wish they would add another cart to their collection and put it outside Victoria - something like this is much needed there amongst the "coffee" chain overload in the station building.

8 comments:

  1. Their Cortado is knockout. A double costs £1.80 and it has such a characterful taste. Go for it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip - I am partial to a cortado, so will definitely sample Flat Cap's version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Flat Cap crew are awesome - friendly folk, and coffee experts! I recently left the area, and am already in deep withdrawal at not being able to get my daily cortado fix.

    I also reviewed them here on Qype, if you're interested:

    http://www.qype.co.uk/place/1254178-Flat-Cap-Coffee-Company-Westminster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jason - which reviewer are you? I am guessing "Mr Frisky"! I can't wait to go back to Flat Cap - they were so friendly and that combined with the great coffee is a winning combination in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just couldnt leave your website before saying that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the positive feedback. Please keep coming back - hopefully I can keep you interested, please feel free to also let me know if I'm not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes that one is a lovely route
    never tried the coffee though

    ReplyDelete