Wednesday 27 January 2010

TCR Tube - 80s Tiled Murals


Am I the only one who really likes the 80's tiled murals in Tottenham Court Road tube?  I can imagine at the time they were installed there were howls of protest as these replaced the original turn of the century tiling (which I also like by the way).  Two decades later and this stuff now stands as a classic piece of 80's optimism - designed by Eduardo Paolozzi these murals are supposedly meant to reflect the busy atmosphere of Tottenham Court Road.  I'm not sure that's the vibe I get - I just see something that looks like a bit Tomorrow People, a bit Grange Hill and a bit Human League.  I'm worried that all this Crossrail bullshit will mean the end of some or all of these murals - maybe I should start a petition?

2 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you here - I've always thought these things were so ugly! So 80s - in the wrong way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I was the only one who liked these! I can see what you mean Carolina but that is also the reason I love them...

    ReplyDelete