Monday 25 January 2010

Battersea Power Station - SW11

Battersea Power Station is officially my favourite building in London - in fact if I had to list my Top 5 overall things in London it would also make it on that list.  I don't know why I have such strong feelings for an abandoned power station - is it the art deco styling, or the imposing "brick cathedral" attitude or even the charm that certain derelict buildings have?  I don't know - all of the above I think.  All I know is I love it so much that every day on the train to and from work I crane my neck to see out the window and catch a glimpse of this behemoth and when I see it come into view I feel happy.  Does that make me weird? I don't want it to be re-developed, I want it to remain just how it is - I am reassured by the fact that re-development has been planned since the 80s (when Alton Towers were going to turn it into a theme park - sheesh!) and yet it remains the same.  It's been in so many TV shows, movies and of course on the cover of Pink Floyd's "Animals" and its image graces walls over south London (including ours).  I just love it.

2 comments:

  1. I love this building too!! I saw Cirque de Soleil there years ago - amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kat - I wish I had seen that. I have never actually been inside and have always wanted to.

    ReplyDelete