Friday 5 November 2010

Hawksmoor Part 2 - Seven Dials WC2

Had a lovely dinner at the new Hawksmoor branch in Langley St in Seven Dials last night.  It's a big space - just down the road from Pineapple Dance Studios so you can dance off your meat-fest after dinner.  There is a cool bar as you come down the stairs with a decent cocktail list and the main room is cavernous.  Last night (as I'm sure is the case on most nights) the crowd was very guy-heavy with some tables whooping it up a storm - I suppose guys and steak will always be a winning combo.  For you lassies out there, please don't be put off by this, this place is way too good to leave to the fellas.  Man - the chateaubriand was sensational, in fact as I am writing this I am struggling not to drool on the keyboard.  It was the best steak I have had in a long long time.  The other half and I shared an 850g version, which was the smallest on offer by the time we ate at 9.30pm.  It was just slightly too much meat but we still ate it all natch.  It was meltingly tender and perfectly seasoned - super super tasty.  Apparently some greedy patrons polish off the 900g and 1kg version all by themselves - which is kinda gross.  There is a full range of steak options - the aforementioned chateau plus fillet, porterhouse, rib-eye, rump, sirloin etc etc.  We accompanied our steak with a perfect bearnaise sauce (friggin' YUM), triple-cooked chips (friigin' double YUM) and some spinach to be healthy (boo).  Washed down with a rather pleasant South African shiraz this was a great, great meal (have I said that already?) - as you can tell I love this place, in fact each time I visit Hawksmoor I love it more - next trip will involve sampling their legendary burger.  Can't wait.

Hawksmoor (Seven Dials) on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. As usual: "You're making me hungry!"
    Thanks, Rob, for sharing your treats with others. Can't wait to try some of these places out. It's a far cry from years agop, when one happily went to Indian or CHinese places in search of a meal when in London

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may well have been in there at the same time as you as I posted a review on the same day! I definitely want to go back even if its just to try more of the cocktail list. I did wonder but forgot to ask if they let you just pop in for a drink or whether its a "diners only" bar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert - I would still happily eat Chinese if it was at Yauatcha! My biggest shame is coming to London as a back-packer in 1991 and eating at an Angus Steak House - eek!

    Sybaricious - I know there is bar food so you can def just sit in the bar but not sure if you can just drink. It's a pretty big bar area so I imagine so - let me know!

    ReplyDelete