Monday 22 February 2010

Bob Bob Ricard W1

I was ready to hate Bob Bob Ricard.  I had read some early scathing reviews and I was convinced it was going to be a hot mess but I ended up loving it.  Actually I fell in love a little.  I felt like I was in some crazy opulent European city in the 30s or in some high camp Baz Lurhmann movie.  The staff seemed to be all Russian or Eastern European and slightly off kilter, which added to the effect.  We had cocktails downstairs in what is the members' bar - we sat in what felt like a 1930's grand train carriage and had apple martinis.  Nice start.  No-one came to get us to tell us our table was ready so eventually we made our way upstairs - but in some way this added to the charm, it was like everyone was playing a role and not quite getting it right.  The main restaurant was equally trippy - with crazy wallpaper, lots of gold and mirrors and waiters with overly large powder pink blazers (yes really).  The menu looked great and I was tempted by most of it but what I went with was Mini Scotch Quails Eggs with Watercress, Cucumber & Mint Salad.  I have to admit that until then I had never eaten a Scotch Egg - I don't know why, they have always appealed to me.  The version I ate at BBR, given quails eggs were involved, were miniature versions of the traditional Scotch egg and if they are anything to go by, I have a new favourite snack.  These were SO tasty - savoury sausage meat encasing a perfect hard boiled quali's egg, dipped in a tangy sauce and accompanied by a lovely fresh, zingy watercress salad.  Taste buds revved up, I got my main course - Chicken Kiev with a Sweetcorn & Potato Mash.  Firstly it looked beautiful, secondly it tasted bloody good.  Sometimes kiev can be a bit full on - when you cut into it and a river of butter streams out it makes me a little queasy - but this one was just right.  The potato and sweetcorn mash was inspired - I am definitely going to try that at home.  Anyway - I've probably made my point, I loved this place. Even better someone else was paying so I have no idea if you pay over the odds, which obviously might be a negative.  Having said that, this is not somewhere I would want to come regularly - it's definitely a special occasion, "I'm feeling flush and I want to dress up and pretend I'm a Russian gangster" kind of night.  (Not that I actually feel like that regularly, or in fact ever...but you get the point).

Bob Bob Ricard on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I loved this place too - it was a bit expensive but worth it for a special occassion methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Kat - I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review! I recently attended an event at BBR and fell a little bit in love too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Greedy Diva - it's that sort of place I think. Can't wait to go back - there were so many things on that menu that took my fancy!

    ReplyDelete