Wednesday, 30 May 2012

MEATMarket - WC2

Having fallen for the messy deliciousness of Yianni Papoutsis' burgers at #meateasy in SE14 early last year, I faithfully followed them to their first permanent home at MEATLiquor in Wellbeck Street in January.  MEAT Liquor kinda did my head in (in a dirty, sexy, scary way) and was probably one of the least relaxed, yet completely delicious meals I had had in a while.  So of course as soon as I heard about MEATMarket, Yianni's latest burger joint, I
couldn't wait to check it out.  Situated on a mezzanine overlooking the tacky Jubilee Market Hall just next to the Covent Garden piazza (which in a weird way really works as a location - I felt like I was at a fun fair) the first thing that struck me was that here I was, ordering a Yianni burger with no queues, which got delivered within 10 minutes to our table which we had scored easily (at #meateasy the other half and I waited 2 hours for our burger and had to lunge on the first vacant table and at MEATLiquor we queued for 20 minutes outside in a London winter).  The second thing that struck me was that, unlike at MEATLiquor, I didn't feel like a deranged maniac was lurking around each corner or that I would find a sex club in the basement (and yes, perhaps you detect a slight note of disappointment...).  The last thing that struck me was that these burgers were still f*cking awesome.  My friend Don and I also ordered some amazing sides, including poppaz (cheese stuffed, breaded and deep fried jalapenos).  From what I hear the evenings get busy, although not quite to MEATLiquor levels - I am keen to try out the alcoholic milkshakes very soon.  As an added bonus for me, since my work has moved offices, MEATMarket is now a short 5 minute stroll away - so I plan to eat here...a lot.

MEATmarket on Urbanspoon


  1. VERY jealous of your close proximity to MEATMarket. The hard shakes are brilliant!!

  2. Friday afternoon visit is now locked in. Might have a cheeky alcoholic milkshake or 2 as well.

  3. Still haven't tried the hard shakes Chloe - can't wait!