Tuesday 19 June 2012

Bistro Union - Abbeville Rd SW4

The other half and I had a lovely dinner with our friends Sian and Jason at current foodies' favourite Bistro Union in Clapham last weekend.  The buzz around this place has been considerable and the reviews good, so my expectations were high.  Abbeville Road is Sian and J's hood and so we have spent quite a bit of time there visiting them - it's a cute local street with some pretty chi-chi shops but up until now I hadn't had an amazing dining experience there.   That changed on Saturday
 night.  Adam Byatt will be known to fans of Thyme and more recently Trinity (where he still cooks) and with Bistro Union he has opened another gem.  It definitely feels very "now" (as in, there are elements of Russell Norman, Duck Soup etc, there are lots of small sharing plates, it's a little rough 'n ready...) but that's fine with me, as I love the stripped back, focus on the food, small plate, street-foodish vibe.  I could have eaten a LOT from this menu.  We started by sharing several small plates - some peas in the pod (nice touch), pickled quails eggs, chicken liver pate and sausage and sage puffs - and yes they were all as good as they sound.  For main course the other half and I shared the "Union Spit-Roast chicken" which came with pigs in 


blankets and bread sauce.  I had to take a photo - the chicken came skewered with knives and looked a bit like a delicious crime-scene and we tucked in with gusto.  It was great - in fact my mouth is watering just remembering it.  The pigs in blankets were a tasty, if unnecessary touch (but maybe that was just because we'd pigged out on starters).  The others managed dessert but I couldn't fit in another morsel (not even a wafer-thin mint) - but they all looked good.  I really loved Bistro Union and I can't wait to go back - it is red hot right now and the well-heeled locals of SW4 have taken it to their hearts so you may struggle to get a table right now but trust me, it's worth the effort.

Bistro Union on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. This looks good! It is making me a little bit hungry! I was looking for places to eat in the SW4 region! I am staying in this London apartment near Clapham and wanted to know what options I have for when I don't want to cook!

    ReplyDelete