Monday 18 June 2012

Arthur Beale - Covent Garden WC2

In this age of either relentless chain shops or the slightly more preferable (but equally damaging to traditional businesses) "snazzification" of our inner city, it is unusual to find shops like Arthur Beale in key central London locations.  Like J P Guivier in Mortimer St, Arthur Beale on Shaftesbury Avenue is an old school shop, remaining wonderfully resistant to the vagaries of fashion and the changing retail nature of its surrounds.  Arthur Beale is a ship chandlers - selling rope, fittings and other nautical supplies - to be honest unless you are a serious boatsperson (see how PC I am?) there is not much point going inside, but like me you can be glad that a great shop like this is there, doing what it does and hasn't yet turned into a Starbucks.

6 comments:

  1. This reminds me of that shop on New Oxford Street that fascinates and charms me, though I have never actually been inside. It seems to sell umbrellas and swords!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that shop! James Smith & Sons - blogged about it early on in this blog's life: http://londonrobstuff.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/james-smith-sons-umbrellas.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ha! So you have! I should venture inside at some point. I see you've also been to Arbutus - that was my first proper blog post. I was also mightily impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Arbutus - that squid & mackerel burger is a total winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Arthur Beale! I spend a lot of time standing outside looking at all the shiny clip-thingies and ropes and flags and stuff. I've always wanted to go in and just smell the air (which I am convinced smells of the sea and pipe tobacco) but I'm too shy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca - it is one of those shops that you doesn't seem to encourage browsing, it is very practical! I felt a bit awkward - so I tend to just admire from the outside and am happy that it exists! Unless I take up sailing of course, then I'll become a regular customer...

    ReplyDelete