Monday 9 May 2011

Southbank - SE1


I have waxed lyrical about the Southbank precinct before, when I reviewed Canteen some time ago but I decided that this wonderful area of London needed its own post.  As the weather gets warmer I tend to walk from Waterloo in to Soho rather than take the tube (particularly as recently the Crossrail ....grrrrr.... project means the Northern Line doesn't stop at TCR for another thousand years).  Often there is a temporary market in the space behind the Royal Festival Hall, right outside Canteen and the other day it was a Tea & Coffee Festival (pictured).  Maybe I was in a good mood that day but I suddenly got all misty-eyed and sentimental about the Southbank and the fact that hidden behind it was this cute little mini-festival celebrating tea & coffee, with passionate producers and distributors touting their wares.  Combine that with all the great cultural venues on offer within a short stroll - the National Theatre, the BFI Southbank, the Hayward Gallery, great places to eat and drink plus the joy of the south bank itself - the second hand bookstalls under Waterloo Bridge, the promenade, the people watching - what a place!  Here I go getting misty-eyed again, but please, please, if you have never been to the Southbank Centre or any of the surrounding areas or you haven't been there in a long time or you just don't know it that well, spend some time there.  Summer is a wonderful time to visit - there is always something going on.  Case in point, the other day as I wandered across the footbridge from Embankment I came across Billy Bragg playing outside Festival Hall - that pretty much sums it up for me.

7 comments:

  1. A fellow eye mister. :) Love this post, and completely agree. // Manne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Manne - maybe we should start a Southbank fan club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Southbank, in my opinion it is one of the most special places in London and I have so many wonderful memories of it. Good to hear you are also a fan Rob!

    Luiz @ The London Foodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you Luiz - our Southbank fan club is growing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try and go as often as I can, but it is not often enough ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going there this weekend to see Tracey Emin at the Southbank Centre! Dying to go even more after your despcription of the southban area! x LondonZest

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to see that exhibition too Emily - I love the Hayward. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete